About South Florida Elder Law Attorney, Alice Reiter Feld

Monday, November 11, 2013

My Veteran's Day Message

This message is dedicated to my father, a World War II veteran.

15 years ago, a client came into my office and told me about a friend who was getting some sort of veteran's benefit for his assisted living care. I was skeptic to say the least because I was an established elder law attorney who had "read all the books" and "taken all the classes" and I never heard of such a benefit. Luckily for me, this client was an exceptionally bright and informed person and she proceeded to gather whatever information she had from her friend. The result for me was a two week immersion into a world that few knew about and that I was suddenly an expert. It was the discovery of the benefit commonly known as "Aid and Attendance". Myself and other attorneys began becoming more educated and passing the "well kept secret" to other attorneys, clients and allied professionals so that they would be aware that there was a benefit of up to $1700 per month (now $2100) for wartime veterans who qualified which has many times changed the lives of our senior clients.

Unfortunately, this well kept secret became so well known that many non attorneys began "assisting" seniors with applications (selling unnecessary products along the way) which in most circumstances, in order to qualify, there was the need to make this planning part of an entire estate plan which of course is the role of the attorney. The results that came into our office were disastrous; bad applications, applications that have been sitting for years, applications where there was no follow-up or if there was it was inconsistent with the VA's internal rules. Many of the plans put together would prevent and cause ineligibility for Nursing home Medicaid which was needed down the road. Our office has been retained to "fix" the applications of many of these disasters.

The good news on this Veteran's day is that the public, facilities and others are now aware of these issues and are taking steps to protect their veteran's and their families which in turn provides everyone with "happy customers". So we continue to be able to file these applications (albeit much more complicated since back in the day of the "well kept secret") so that our Veteran's and their surviving spouses can afford to pay for their long term care in their later years.

This is my first Veteran's Day without my father who passed away last January at almost 92 years old. He was a World War II veteran who talked little about his years of service during my growing years but was more and more forthcoming during his senior years. He was a very proud veteran who before he died gave my son a map of his tour through Europe that I didn't even know existed.

Happy Veteran's day Dad and to you all and of course to all of our veteran's who have so honorably and courageously protected our nation during our long history.

No comments:

Post a Comment